News

Lockdown: Osun Indigenes Receive N20,000 Each From State Government

Spread the love

Osun State Governor Adegboyega Oyetola on Thursday launched the Federal Government’s Conditional Cash Transfer (CCT) scheme.

More than 15,000 beneficiaries across the state will get N20, 000 each.

This is part of efforts to mitigate the economic effects of the Coronavirus pandemic.

Governor Oyetola said that the Federal Government had approved the payment of cumulative four-month stipend of N20,000 to 15,562 beneficiaries across the state.

He added that the N20,000, which covered payment for January, February, March and April, would be paid to each of the beneficiaries through the Direct Cash Transfer, as it had been done in few other states.

Oyetola said that the Federal Government’s initiative would complement efforts taken by the state government to cushion the effects of the lockdown imposed to curb the spread of COVID-19, noting that the government yesterday distributed over 6,000 bags of rice to the needy across the state.

He said the lockdown had affected the finances of many income earners and had expanded the population of the vulnerable.

Appealing for more institutional support for the state in the battle against the pandemic, the governor lauded the President Muhammadu Buhari administration for the prompt response and intervention targeted at the vulnerable.

The governor had appealed to the Federal Government, during his statewide broadcast on April 5, to assist the state in its battle against the pandemic, considering that Osun had effected a sit-at-home order to stop community transmission of the virus.

Oyetola said during the broadcast: “Considering our peculiar circumstance, there is the urgent need for the Federal Government to assist us in our efforts to contain the spread of the virus.”

The disbursement of the stipend began yesterday across the 31 local governments, according to a pre-defined disbursement quota.

The summary of the quota shows that Atakumosa East has 735 beneficiaries, Ilesa East (347), Ilesa West (386), Oriade (209), Ede South (508), Egbedore (305), Ejigbo (778), Iwo (366), Boluwaduro (362), Ila (447), Ifedayo (1062), Ifelodun (720), Odo Otin (526), Boripe (404), Ife East (289) and Ife East Area Office (208).

Others are: Ife North (921), Ife South (302), Ayedire (389), Olaoluwa (334), Isokan (783), Ayedaade (305), Irewole (498), Atakumosa West (341), Obokun (461), Orolu (670), Irepodun (713), Oshogbo (519), Ede North (523), Olorunda (727) and Ife Central (424).

Ekiti State Governor Kayode Fayemi has launched cash transfer to 5,000 households in collaboration with the National Cash Transfer Office and Ekiti State Cash Transfer Unit.

The aim is to bring succour to indigent households during movement restriction occasioned by the Coronavirus pandemic.

The launch, held at Fajuyi Pavilion, Ado-Ekiti, signalled the beginning of the cash transfer at designated pay points across the 16 local governments.

It came barely 24 hours after the government started the distribution of food items to indigent people to cushion the effect of the lockdown.

Performing the disbursement of the cash transfer in Ado-Ekiti, Dr. Fayemi said each beneficiary would receive between N20,000 and N60,000, which is a four- month arrears from January to April, 2020.

The governor, represented by the Director-General, Office of Transformation and Service Delivery, Prof. Bolaji Aluko, said the programme, which had been on since 2016, was just being launched as part of efforts to assist poor households “during this period of global pandemic when people are being forced to stay at home as a way of checking the spread of the deadly virus.”

He said: “This is not the first cash transfer we are doing in the state. This has been a programme that has been going on for a little while, since 2016, but this is the first major public show of the things we have been doing quietly as a state, which is part of the larger National Social Investment Programme that the President Muhammadu Buhari administration started and this state has been part of it.

“We feel that this particular time when this COVID-19 disease is rearing its ugly head in the country is the right time to disburse the cash to serve as a palliative for benefitting households. What we are doing now is being done in some other states. You will recollect that we launched distribution of food packs to some indigent citizens yesterday, and we still have other incentives to give to our people as a form of succour, which will be unveiled soon.

“These efforts of the government are geared toward making life easy for Ekiti citizens to live happily and well during this difficult time. I assure you that this administration is a caring government that puts the people at the centre of all their plans.”

The governor took this opportunity to remind the benefitting households that the programme is called Household Uplifting Programme (HUP), hence all members of the household must benefit from the cash. He advised them to make use of the money “during this period, as the government is on top of the COVID-19 situation in the state.”

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Social Investment Programme (SIP), Victor Kolade, said the intention of the programme was to take care of the downtrodden in the society, adding that the components of SIP included social security programme for the elderly (Owo Arugbo), conditional cash transfer, Government Enterprises Employment Project (GEEP) and others “which this administration is nurturing to ensure good living condition for average Ekiti indigenes.”

He said Governor Fayemi has taken decisive step to ensure that the benefitting households keep on receiving the money on a regular basis and at the same time ensuring that more people also benefit from the largesse.

Kolade said arrangements have been concluded to ensure that more people benefit from the programme, adding that before the end of the year, no fewer than 16,000 households would start to benefit from the cash transfer.

Source: The Nation